To create teacher and student accounts, you will fill out two spreadsheets (CSVs) of basic data, such as first name, last name, and ID number and then upload those spreadsheets to Literably.
Before starting a few quick notes:
- Uploading your spreadsheets multiple times: If you need to make any changes to your rosters in the future, you will simply update spreadsheet files and re-upload to Literably. As a best practice, we recommend that you save your most up-to-date rostering spreadsheets somewhere where you can easily access them (e.g., save the files in a folder on your desktop). This will allow you to quickly make rostering updates to Literably (if needed) throughout the school year.
- After you upload your spreadsheets, teachers (and students) will NOT get an automatic email with their Literably information (e.g., passwords). Thus, you may want to email them separately with any information you want them to be aware of.
- Preserving "trial" data: If a teacher added students to their dashboard via the blue "Add Students" button during a Literably trial, their trial students' Literably data will NOT be preserved unless you do the following things:
- On your students.CSV, each student's first name, last name, and grade must be listed 100% identically to the first name, last name, and grade of that "trial" student shown on the teacher's dashboard.
You can upload your files in 3 steps.
1. Download Blank Files
2a. Complete the Teacher File
Please do not remove or change the header row! (pictured below). The header row should be row 1 in your teacher file.
In the teacher file, please include everyone who will need access to Literably. This might include:
- Classroom teachers
- Intervention teachers
- Instructional coaches
- Reading specialists
- Special education teachers
Fields in teachers.csv
*Teacher ID: teacher ID from your student information system. IMPORTANT: Must be unique across district. If you're re-uploading your teachers.CSV, please ensure you continue to use the same Teacher ID format that you originally used.
*Title: Mr., Mrs., Ms., Miss, Dr.
*Email: Must be unique. Teachers will use this email to log into Literably.
*Password: You can set the same password for all teachers. Teachers will use this password to log into Literably.
School Admin: yes or no. Gives this user access to all students in the school. Use for principals, interventionists, etc.
* = required field
Sample completed teacher file:
2b. Complete the Student File
Please do not remove or change the header row! (pictured below). The header row should be row 1 in your student file.
In the student file, please include all students who will be using Literably.
We recommend completing the ELL data columns where applicable. This will prevent ELL students from being unfairly penalized for accented pronunciations.
Fields in students.csv
*Student ID: SIS_ID from your student information system. IMPORTANT: Must be unique across district. If you're re-uploading your students.CSV, please ensure you continue to use the same Student ID format that you originally used.
*Grade: K, 1, 2, 3, etc. (K is the lowest level. You cannot list "PRE".)
*Teacher ID: must match a Teacher ID from teachers.csv
Secondary Teacher ID: enrolls the student in a second teacher's class. must match a Teacher ID from teachers.csv
Username: If you do not set student usernames, students will login by typing their teachers' email and picking their name from a list. If you set student usernames, each username must be unique across the district.
Password: If you set student usernames, then student passwords are required. You can set the same password for all students.
Initial Level: student’s initial A-Z reading level (can import DRA, F&P, STEP, and PM Benchmarks scores as long as the same system is used for all students).
Level Imputed: optional true/false field (defaults to false). If false, will treat the supplied initial level as merely a guess and allow Literably to level a student below that level. Only relevant if Initial Level is supplied.
ELL: optional true/false field indicating English language learner status. Used in conjunction with home language for accent adjustments.
Home Language: optional home language code from your student information system. Used for accent adjustments for ELL students. Literably is designed to accept California state home language codes.
* = required field
You may find it most efficient to export the required data from your Student Information System (SIS). Then, copy and paste it into the correct columns in the Literably files.
Sample completed student file:
3. Upload the Files
A. Log in to Literably, click your username in the top right, and click Rostering.
If you do not see rostering, email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
B. Upload both files at the same time. The files must have exactly these filenames:
To select two files at once, press and hold CTRL (PC) or COMMAND (Mac) and click on both of the files. When both files are highlighted, they have both been selected for upload.
C. Within a few minutes, Literably will send you an email with the results. This email will indicate if there were any errors in the files. If errors were detected, please correct the errors and re-upload. Note: If you upload teachers.csv and students.csv and there are errors in just one of the files, you must re-upload both teachers.csv and students.csv.
Files with duplicate usernames, emails, teacher IDs, or SIS_IDs will be rejected.
Rows missing required fields will not be processed.
Rows assigning a student’s primary teacher to a user with no school will not be processed.
Usernames are case-insensitive.
Literably does not support associating teachers with multiple schools. If multiple schools are listed for a teacher, she will be associated with the first school.
If Literably can't find a teacher account with the given Teacher ID, but it does find a teacher account with the given email, the existing teacher account will be updated to reflect the information in the roster file.
Teacher and student credentials will be rewritten whenever these roster files are uploaded, even if these accounts already exist. Please note a few unique exceptions below:
- Teacher passwords: If you re-upload a teachers.csv, we will not rewrite an existing teacher’s password, since sometimes teachers change these deliberately.
- Student passwords: If you re-upload a students.csv with a blank password column (only relevant if your students sign in via usernames and passwords), your students' passwords will not be rewritten. However, if you re-upload a students.csv with new passwords inputted in the password column, those students' passwords will be rewritten.
- Initial levels:
- If you re-upload a students.CSV with a blank initial level column, we will NOT rewrite students' initial levels (found under the "Next Assessment" column).
- If you re-upload a students.CSV with the Initial Level column filled out, we will rewrite students' initial levels (found under the "Next Assessment" column) unless a student has taken at least one assessment.
.These files should be in standard CSV format (not Excel) with UTF-8 encoding and commas as delimiters. Quoting is required where there are commas in a field’s text, but is otherwise optional. The first row should be a header row consisting of column names, which should match the names of the fields in this document.