Rostering via ClassLink Follow
- In this article, we will cover the main steps you need to take in order for your district/school site to get set up on ClassLink and Literably.
- Rostering: districts can share OneRoster CSVs with Literably over SFTP via ClassLink’s rostering application/console.
- Here are Literably's OneRoster formatting requirements/directions.
- Literably will sync each district's OneRoster files nightly.
- Single Sign-On (SSO):
- Literably allows for ClassLink SSO on its web version (literably.com/login) and via iOS (on an iPad)
If you are moving from a different rostering system (manual CSV uploads, OneRoster without Classlink, or Clever) to ClassLink, please review the information at the end of this Help Center article.
Rostering best practices: information about Literably emails and data:
- Please only share necessary classes/courses/enrollments with Literably. This is important for a few reasons:
- Reduce unnecessary emails: In Literably, all shared teachers associated with a student will receive summary results emails from Literably. As an example, if you share each student's Art, PE, and Math teacher with Literably, those teachers will receive summary results emails from Literably (which might not be actually necessary for those teachers).
- Improve accuracy of data exports: In Literably data exports (more info. here and here), we will associate a teacher with a student for every graded assessment that is taken. If a student is only associated with one teacher, then that student will be associated with that teacher in the Literably data export. If a student is associated with multiple teachers, Literably will associate the student with the teacher who has the highest Literably ID number (which is somewhat arbitrary).
Required steps if you are new to Literably:
1. Email Literably your district's Tenant ID
2. Connect with Literably: per ClassLink rules, districts (not vendors) have to initiate connecting with Literably on ClassLink. Below are screenshots that show you how you can initiate this connection in ClassLink. More info. here.
3. Share your OneRoster files via ClassLink: This will create the necessary Literably accounts and dashboards at your district. Please log into ClassLink, enter your district's SFTP credentials with path, and set up a sharing schedule.
- In the IP address or Hostname field (see screenshot below), enter: sftp.literably.com
- The port number should be: 22
- In the Path field (see screenshot below), use the phrase: /home/username
- Your district's "username" is the SFTP username that was provided to you by Literably.
- Please ensure that your OneRoster files follow the formatting rules/requirements found here.
Note: if needed, please share any necessary school and district admins within your OneRoster files.
- Enable Single Sign-On App: Use the below screenshots to input the necessary information.
4. Test Logging into Literably: After your OneRoster files sync, please test out logging into Literably as a student, teacher, and admin via ClassLink SSO, on both a computer and iPad (see step 6 here).
Required steps if you have been using Literably previously and have been setting up your school/district rosters using CSV files, OneRoster without ClassLink, or Clever.
- Complete steps 1-4 above.
- Preserve Literably data during your ClassLink transition.
- If transitioning from manual CSV uploads: If you want your students' Literably assessment data to be preserved when you transition to OneRoster rostering on Classlink, it is required that each user's (students, teachers, admins) sourcedid from your district's OneRoster files (located on your district's users.csv(s)) is identical to their "Student ID" and "Teacher ID" found on your most recent Literably CSV files.
- If transitioning from OneRoster (without ClassLink): if you want your students' Literably assessment data to be preserved when you transition to OneRoster rostering on ClassLink, it is required that each user's (students, teachers, admins) sourcedid from your district's OneRoster files (located on your district's users.csv(s)) is the same sourcedid that was used for them in previous years (when your school/district was using OneRoster but not ClassLink).
- If transitioning from Clever: if you want your students' Literably assessment data to be preserved when you transition to OneRoster rostering on ClassLink, it is required that each user's (students, teachers, admins) sourcedid from your district's OneRoster files (located on your district's users.csv(s)) is the same as the SIS_ID that was associated with the user on Clever.
How can we share students/sections outside of the data in our SIS?
- One option might be to use Manual Record in ClassLink (details here). This will allow you to set up students and dashboards outside of the data that is synced with your SIS.
- You can also reach out to your ClassLink contact or to ClassLink support, to see if they have any additional recommendations.